Catalogue


The archaeological heritage of the Rideau Corridor
by Barbara A. Humphreys. Glassware excavated at Fort Gaspereau, New Brunswick / by Jane E. Harris. Commissioners of the Yukon, 1897-1918 / by Edward F. Bush.
imprint
Ottawa : National Historic Sites Service, National and Historic Parks Branch, Dept. of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, 1974.
description
1 online resource, 127 p. : ill., maps, portraits
format(s)
Book
More Details
imprint
Ottawa : National Historic Sites Service, National and Historic Parks Branch, Dept. of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, 1974.
general note
Digitized edition from print [by the History of Parks Canada Electronic Library].
abstract
"In 1969, an architectural survey was made of all pre-1880 buildings in the Rideau Corridor, an area extending from Ottawa to Kingston (though not including these two cities) along the Rideau Canal. Of the 1,800 buildings recorded, 1,677 were considered to be within the relevant time period. This [first] report describes, analyzes and illustrates a representative collection of these structures as well as some of their architectural details ... [The second paper found] most of the glassware excavated at Fort Gaspereau, New Brunswick (1751-56) consists of bottles and a small number of tumblers. French glass of the mid-18th century is represented by three distinct bottle types and a number of non-lead glass tumblers. English glass of the same period is also present with examples of only two bottle types. No table glass could be identified as being of English manufacture. A variety of bottles and a few tumblers, many of probable North American manufacture, indicate the limited use of the site from the mid-19th century to at least the first half of the 20th century ... [In the third paper] after a brief description of the opening of the Yukon Territory and the institution of territorial government, the tenures in office and characters of each of the commissioners or chief executives are traced in turn against the background of the politics and social life of the period. The abolition of the office of commissioner and re-organization of the territorial government in March 1918 is followed by a sketch of post-1918 Yukon history up to the time of the transferral of the territorial capital from Dawson to Whitehorse in 1 954. An appendix lists the names of the commissioners and succeeding chief executives from 1897 to 1966"--Abstracts, p.12, p. 74 and p. 98.
catalogue key
11959488
type of file
Electronic monograph in PDF format.
 
Includes bibliographical references.

  link to old catalogue

Report a problem